[gmx-users] Potential Energy Landscape

Natalie Stephenson Natalie.Stephenson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 12:36:50 CET 2011

I have performed force pulling experiments on a protein with both Gromacs MD simulations and experimentally with AFM.  The problem I'm facing with the data is the difference between the loading rates of the two approaches.  For the MDS the loading rate is around 10 N/s, whereas the AFM experiments have a much lower loading rate of 1 x 10^-8 N/s.

I was told at a conference I attended that there was a way of constructing a 'potential energy landscape' which would be able to use this to remove the loading rate differences. However, I did not get a chance to find out how this was possible.  I understand how g_sham works, however, I'm not sure what - in this case - the input would be in order to construct such a 'potential energy landscape'. Any insight into how I would be able to create this ... or any other ideas on how I would be able to somehow relate the simulation output to experimental data dispite the loading rate differences would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks once again!!
Natalie

Natalie Stephenson, B.Sc
PhD Research Associate