[gmx-users] Box in Implicit Solvent Simulations

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 22 12:13:15 CET 2011

On 22/11/2011 10:08 PM, ifat shub wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running simulations using implicit solvent. I am using the pbc =
> no option in my mdp file, however, I see it the .gro file that gromacs
> is creating a box for the system.What is the effect of the box
> in implicit solvent simulations?

None, if pbc = no. When writing a .gro file some data has to go into the
space the format allows for the box. However the .mdp file controls
whether that is significant. Later on when using analysis tools, some of
the analyses might erroneously use that box if you don't give suitable
instructions not to.

Mark