[gmx-users] QM/MM energies

Christoph Riplinger cri at thch.uni-bonn.de
Fri Nov 25 16:57:58 CET 2011

Dear Jon,

To the best of my knowledge the potential energy is the sum of all
energies (E_QM + E_MM + E_QM/MM). The quantum energy (actually I do not
see it in my output) for electrostatic embedding includes E_QM +
E_QM/MM(el.stat.). I.e. E_QM/MM(VDW) you have to extract from the edr
file. You should have two different energy groups, one defining the QM,
and the other one defining the remaining system. I.e. you can extract
E_QM/MM(VDW) from the sum of LJ-SR:notQM-QM and LJ-14:notQM-QM.

Importantly, if you want to analyze the QM_part of the energy, you
should (i) either calculate E_QM without the point charges again, or
(ii) add E_QM/MM(VDW) to the printed quantum energy (i.e. calculate E_QM
+ E_QM/MM), since the electrostatic QM/MM contribution is included in
the quantum energy for electrostatic embedding, and it is highly
dependent on the  respective VDW contribution.

Hope that helps,
Christoph Riplinger