[gmx-users] to gro or not to gro

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:30:43 CET 2011

My my. Why is it a fault to adhere to ISO units (nm) over non-standard
(A)? It's a choice, but a choice is not faulty. The consequences may
be undesirable. But shouldn't a user, certainly a computation
scientist, understand the file formats, as an experimentalist should
know its solvent? And know the consequences of using one over another?
Mark is correct to state that a picometer uncertainty at the start has
no consequences for molecular dynamics simulations. For single point
eneriges they will have. But no one ever forced anyone to use GRO
rather than PDB format. That's the choice the researcher makes. And,
at least in my tutorial, that difference between GRO and PDB format is
stressed. The choice to use standard units is historical, and lies
decades back in time. Could we now change it to A, because a 'faulty'
choice was made?

I'm terribly sorry that you need to do a lot of work again, Igor. But
you can't shove the blame in another's shoes. You overlooked
something, lead by presumptions about standardization in units and
file formats. May I wonder why you only found out now, after all the
work has been done? This difference would have showed up with the
first test, right? But again, it's not us against you, and I'm sorry
you have to go through this. Trust me, most of us have had such
moments, although with a different aspect.

Best,

Tsjerk