[gmx-users] Pme on gpu performance

Jones de Andrade johannesrs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:55:12 CET 2011

Hi.

I'm another one waiting for the OpenCL version here.

4.6 will support only CUDA.

> OpenCL GPU implementations have yet match CUDA; on CPU it would hardly
> match the performance of the hand-tuned SSE kernels, moreover, CPU &
> GPU algorithms are not the same.

If you allow me, the (second and third!) argument is not strong enough,
since also cuda for cpu would not match the performance of all tricks from
gromacs. Also, I think that the cpu and cuda algorithms are not the same.
>From my point of view, the only really strong argument would be the first
one: "OpenCL GPU implementations have yet match CUDA!", despite the fact
that I would like to see it better explained if possible (even a link would
be suffice).

More important: does this mean that openMM and gromacs gpu development are
"breaking apart"? What can we really expect from that, other than easier
installation and usage?

Thanks a lot!

Sincerely yours,

Jones