[gmx-users] g_select

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Nov 30 20:57:34 CET 2011

mohammad agha wrote:
> Thanks for your reply, but how can I define residue numbers of one
> micelle from between 10 micelle that all of them are same and only were
> differ at the number of monomer in micelle.
> May I know how, please?

Well, now the problem is potentially more complicated.  Two approaches:

1. Using make_ndx, you can create an index file of any micelle if you know all
of the residue numbers.  Please type "help" at the make_ndx prompt for example
usage.  It is easy to do.

2. If you do not know which residues comprise the micelle(s) and you don't want
to figure it out manually (I wouldn't), then you need g_select with some
geometric criteria.  Again, there is help available (see g_select -h for how to
invoke help) and search the archives for related posts.

It would be far more efficient for you and for those who might help you if you
post what you've tried and failed at, rather than leaving us to guess what might
work.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar