[gmx-users] GROMACS 4.5.4 keep crashing all the time

Itamar Kass itamar.kass at monash.edu
Thu Sep 1 02:20:08 CEST 2011

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the email, I am sorry it took me some time to replay. I tried 4.5.4 again, now starting from a 5 ns simulations run using 4.0.7, and again the simulations had stopped after 1000 LINCS error (I can extend the simulations using 4.0.7).

I know that gromacs stopped after 1000 LINCS, but this is usually a sign that something bad is going on in the system.

Cheers,
Itamar

On 18/08/2011, at 12:03 PM, chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:

> OK, here's my last few ideas:
>
> 1. Please try to repeat this with gen_vel set to the same value as your temperature coupling
>
> 2. Can you reproduce this in serial?
>
> 3. Can you reproduce this with the sd integrator?
>
> 4. Can you reproduce this with a simpler system? protein in vacuum or just water or remove the ions, etc?
>
> 5. Take the output .gro from 4.0.7 that ran fine for X ns and run it under 4.5.4. Do you get the same lincs warnings?
>
> 6. Also, note that you are getting warnings and the run does not actually crash but just stops after too many warnings. So what are atoms 981 and 982? Does their motion look different in an important ways between the 4.0.7 and 4.5.4 trajectories?
>
> Chris.

-----
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut