[gmx-users] order parameter

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 1 03:00:35 CEST 2011

Dear Ramya:

Are you simulating all-atom lipids (with explicit hydrogen atoms on
the acyl chain)? If not, then you missed a step in your description of
what you have done (g_order, for example, ignores explicit hydrogen
atoms so that it can act on united atom lipids).

Not sure why PBC would be your step #3, after your step #2 was to find
the angle. I suggest that you simply run trjconv -pbc mol on your
trajectory file before you process it and then you no longer need to
worry about PBC in your custom analysis tool.

Once you have the angle, you must average it correctly. The equation
is available in most papers that describe order parameters and is
listed as a comment at the top of the gmx_order.c source file (in
version 4.0.7 at least).

If you want to get more help on your procedure after you have worked
on this for a while, I suggest laying out your procedure very
specifically. Your previous post, for example, was pretty loose with
terminology when you described your method and there is quite a bit
that one must assume.

Chris.