[gmx-users] Question about adding hydrogens to a newly constructed residue

J. Nathan Scott scottjn at chemistry.montana.edu
Mon Sep 5 17:44:04 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:

>  On 6/09/2011 1:22 AM, J. Nathan Scott wrote:
>

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>wrote:
>
>>  On 5/09/2011 3:30 AM, J. Nathan Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Hello fellow GROMACS users,
>>>
>>> I am in the process of constructing a new residue in the OPLS-AA force
>>> field for the mCherry chromophore. However, I am having some difficulty in
>>> adding three CH3 hydrogens. In the 2H5Q PDB structure the chromophore
>>> residue, CH6, has CE1 and CE2 ring carbons defined, but also an extended
>>> chain carbon named CE. The problem is that my hdb rules were assigning HE1
>>> and HE2 to the ring carbon hydrogens (1       1       HE1     CE1     CD1
>>>   CZ for example), and HE1, HE2, and HE3 to the CE carbon hydrogens (3
>>> 4       HE     CE     SD      CG1). Since these hydrogens are of different
>>> types, I need to have them named distinctly in my RTP file and need for
>>> Gromacs to understand them as different types. I changed the CH6 residue's
>>> CE atom to CE3 in the PDB file and the relevant RTP entries accordingly (see
>>> below). I also changed the hdb entry for the new CE3 atom (also below).
>>>
>>> Relevant RTP lines:
>>>   CE3    opls_209      0.0     10
>>>  HE31    opls_140      0.0     11
>>>  HE32    opls_140      0.0     12
>>>  HE33    opls_140      0.0     13
>>>   CE1    opls_145      0.0     32
>>>   HE1    opls_146      0.0     33
>>>   CE2    opls_145      0.0     34
>>>   HE2    opls_146      0.0     35
>>>  [bonds]
>>>   CE3  HE31
>>>   CE3  HE32
>>>   CE3  HE33
>>>   CE1   HE1
>>>   CE2   HE2
>>>
>>> Relevant HDB lines:
>>> 3       4       HE3     CE3     SD      CG1
>>> 1       1       HE1     CE1     CD1     CZ
> [...]
>> the very least simplify further trouble-shooting.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Hello Mark, thank you for your help, but I took your very reasonable advice
> and am still receiving the exact same sort of error. I changed the PDB file
> atom name to CQ, which of course makes it unique within that residue (and
> indeed in the whole PDB file). I updated my .rtp entries and the .hdb rules
> accordingly, and yet I still receive the exact same sort of error. It seems
> as if something is wrong with my hdb syntax, but having looked at numerous
> other examples in the hdb file and online I am at a loss as to what the
> problem might be. For what it's worth, if I use the -missing switch when I
> run pdb2gmx, the other CH6 hydrogen atoms appear to be added correctly in
> the resulting gro file, with the names exactly as I expected from the hdb
> naming rules.
>

> My input:
> pdb2gmx -f 2H5Q_spdbv.pdb -o 2H5Q_processed.gro -water tip3
>
> Error received:
> "WARNING: atom HQ1 is missing in residue CH6 66 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HQ1 to the hydrogen database of
> building block CH6
>          in the file aminoacids.hdb (see the manual)"
>
> "WARNING: atom HQ2 is missing in residue CH6 66 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HQ1 to the hydrogen database of
> building block CH6
>          in the file aminoacids.hdb (see the manual)"
>
> "WARNING: atom HQ3 is missing in residue CH6 66 in the pdb file
>          You might need to add atom HQ1 to the hydrogen database of
> building block CH6
>          in the file aminoacids.hdb (see the manual)"
>

> PDB file:
> ATOM    493  CQ  CH6 A  66      42.848  20.230   6.798  1.00 40.19
>
> hdb file:
> CH6     9
> 2       6       HG1     CG1     SD      CB1
> 2       6       HB1     CB1     CG1     CA1
> 2       6       HA3     CA3     C3      N3
> 1       1       HB2     CB2     CA2     CG2
> 1       1       HD1     CD1     CE1     CG2
> 1       1       HD2     CD2     CE2     CG2
> 1       1       HE1     CE1     CD1     CZ
> 1       1       HE2     CE2     CD2     CZ
> 3       4       HQ      CQ      SD      CG1
>
> rtp file (relevant portions only):
>     CQ    opls_209      0.0     10
>    HQ1    opls_140      0.0     11
>    HQ2    opls_140      0.0     12
>    HQ3    opls_140      0.0     13
> [bonds]
>     SD     CQ
>     CQ   HQ1
>     CQ   HQ2
>     CQ   HQ3
>
> I forgot to mention before, my GMX version is 4.5.4, running on a RHEL6
> workstation. Thank you sincerely for any troubleshooting assistance you can
> provide. I am quite stumped by this problem!
>

> Weird. Does naming the residue something other than CH6 help? Specifically,
> something all letters. Has that residue been added as Protein to the

Aha! That did the trick! I changed the residue name to CHB in the input PDB
file, the hdb file, the rtp file, and residuetypes.dat (I did have CH6
defined there as protein, by the way), and now pdb2gmx is adding those three
hydrogens with no problem whatsoever. Thank you again very much, it never
occurred to me that the residue name could be an issue.

I think I'll file a bug report on this. If nothing else this behavior is
certainly unexpected, since pdb2gmx never mentions any possible issues with
a number in the residue name.

Thank you again very much for your help with this!

-Nathan

--
J. Nathan Scott, Ph.D.