Antw: Re: [gmx-users] constant PH simulations

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 6 15:10:38 CEST 2011

Emanuel Peter wrote:
> Could you just tell me smth. !
> No forcefield on whole earth is able to reproduce the pH realistically
> by H+.
> You just can apply pH of your system through the protonation states
> of each part in your system.

Constant protonation state and constant pH are different.  Gromacs does not have
the capability of doing constant pH simulations since such algorithms (i.e.
http://mmtsb.org/workshops/mmtsb-ctbp_workshop_2009/Tutorials/CPHMD/cphmd_tutorial.html)
are not implemented.  One can make an argument that comparing protonation states
can be useful (I've done it), but you cannot equate constant protonation with
constant pH.

-Justin

> monkey.
>

>  >>> João M. Damas 06.09.11 14.22 Uhr >>>
> That is not considered constant-pH MD.
>
> Follow Justin's suggestion.
>
> Cheers,
> João
>
> On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Emanuel Peter
> <Emanuel.Peter at chemie.uni-regensburg.de
> <mailto:Emanuel.Peter at chemie.uni-regensburg.de>> wrote:
>

>     Look for the pKa-constants of each part of your system (e.g. each
>     amino-acid).
>     Then you can check each protonation state and change it according to
>     your
>     application in the force-field.
>
>     Emanuel
>
>      >>> fancy2012 __ 06.09.11 13.01 Uhr >>>
>       Dear gmx users,
>
>     Are there some tutorials on constant PH simulations using gromacs?
>     How should I state my work? Right now I have no idea on it.
>
>     --
>
>     _Best wishes,_
>
>     _Qinghua Liao_
>
>     _Ph.D student of Tianjin University, China_
>
>     __
>
>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>     www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org

> João M. Damas
> PhD Student
> Protein Modelling Group