Antw: Re: Re: Antw: Re: Re: [gmx-users] constant PH simulations

baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Thu Sep 8 06:52:18 CEST 2011

 Dear Emanuel,

 Here are a few comments that may help your way through the literature
 already pointed out by others.

 Most of your questions concern temporal/kinetic aspects (interchange
 times, etc) and the answer to them is quite simple: constant-pH MD
 methods are intended to produce a collection of microstates that is
 representative of equilibrium, regardless of their temporal relation --
 that is, they are *sampling* methods. The rationale is that you ignore
 the real physical process responsible for the (de)protonation changes
 and, instead, devise a mathematical strategy to produce a good sample of
 their distribution.

 If you think about it, the same holds for all other methods to run
 simulations in non-microcanonical ensembles. For example, when you use a
 Nose-Hoover bath for constant temperature, you do not try to explicitly
 account for the transfer of momentum from external environment through
 the vibrational modes of the material of the container walls -- rather,
 you simulate a totally unphysical "extended" system in the
 microcanonical ensemble, which produces a distribution of microstates
 whose projection on the subspace of your real system happens to be the
 canonical distribution of the latter. Luckily, the transfer of momentum
 is so fast that, as long as the MD moves preserve some kinetic
 contiguity of the microstates, it is easy to get realistic temporal
 properties by tuning the values of the bath coupling parameters (or
 piston masses, etc). Unfortunately, the same cannot be done for proton
 exchanges in constant-pH MD, for two main reasons. First, exchanges with
 the solvent depend on slow bimolecular collisions (on the microsecond or
 slower timescale) and thus cannot be sampled in a temporally realistic
 way with current computer power. Second, the times of intramolecular
 exchanges depend on the groups involved and would require computing the
 corresponding free energy barriers. Therefore, even in the case of
 "discrete" constant-pH MD methods (where sites are empty or occupied
 with "full" protons), you cannot easily adjust a parameter to get
 realistic exchange rates. In the case of "continuum" constant-pH MD
 methods (where sites are occupied by "fractional" protons), asking for
 realistic exchange rates is bit like asking for temporal realism in free
 energy calculations using thermodynamic integration or perturbation
 methods -- the very question becomes meaningless. In short, the studies
 published so far show that constant-pH MD seems to work pretty well in
 accounting for (de)protonation-induced structural reorganization (there
 are actually plenty of comparisons with experimental data; check the
 literature), but it is obviously not the way to go if you want to
 investigate rates and energy barriers (in which case you can use
 MM-based free energy methods or, instead, quantum or semiclassical
 methods that explicitly model proton association/dissociation).

 Once you understand that time is not really there in the constant-pH MD
 "simulations", the usual absence of H+ in the box should become clear --
 you just do what you would normally do in a traditional
 constant-protonation run. So, in most cases you would not add any
 H+/H3O+/OH- ions, although you may want to at extreme pH values
 (assuming you have reasonable MM models for that, which is arguable).
 That's why I stated in one of the papers that you should probably read:
 "As usual in binding formalisms [refs], we restrict the location of
 transient protons to the protonatable sites; non-binding protons can be
 considered as part of the solvent if necessary." [J. Chem. Phys.
 107:4184] Essentially, this follows from the statistical thermodynamic
 fact that sampling and Hamiltonian are independent things, so you should
 use the same type of model in the constant-protonation and constant-pH
 cases, because the former is a conditional case of the latter.

 I hope this helps your reading of the literature. Some statistical
 thermodynamics background is also the best way to clarify the more
 conceptual issues. Note also that there are considerable differences
 between some of the constant-pH MD methods currently in use (Gerrit was
 mostly commenting on one particular type of "continuous" method).

 Best,
 Antonio

--
 Antonio M. Baptista
 Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de
 phone: +351-214469619         email: baptista at itqb.unl.pt
 fax:   +351-214411277         WWW:   http://www.itqb.unl.pt/~baptista