[gmx-users] radial distribution function

Dallas Warren Dallas.Warren at monash.edu
Mon Sep 19 01:36:11 CEST 2011

Does not really matter which one you load up, just one towards the end of the trajectory probably so you can be sure it is selected from the "equilibrium" state of the system.

Then type "2" when over the  display window with VMD, then click on two atoms.  VMD will then display a line between the two atoms with a distance in Angstroms.  What you want to do is try and work out what the radii mean in the polymer system.  It will correspond to a particular structure and arrangement of the atoms.  You need to do this with any RDF, so that you can actually work out what the peaks actually mean.

The other option is to use a transparent sphere representation of a couple of the particular atom types, and adjust it's radius to the various peaks, this should make it much easier for the visualisation and identification of the structure associated with each peak.

Remember that VMD works in Angstroms and GROMACS in nm.

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Action
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3010
dallas.warren at monash.edu
+61 3 9903 9304