[gmx-users] check point file corrupted - umbrella sampling

Poojari, Chetan c.poojari at fz-juelich.de
Tue Sep 20 10:53:04 CEST 2011

Hello Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have done following test as you suggested to check whether the checkpoint file are corrupted.

1) Yes, I have used  same version of gromacs for mdrun and to produce .cpt file.

2)  when i do gmxcheck -f  0.cpt         # i get the same error.

Fatal error:
Start of file magic number mismatch, checkpoint file has 1993, should be 171817
The checkpoint file is corrupted or not a checkpoint file

3)  When I do mdrun -s umbrella0.tpr       # it runs without any error.

4) My mdruns has not outputted anything like 0_prev.cpt, i just have 0.cpt.

I had run US for 24 windows, each for 10ns and produced 24 different cpt files. Along with these 24 different .cpt files, in the end it also produced state.cpt and state_prev.cpt.

When i did gmxcheck -f state.cpt    # i get

Checking file state.cpt

# Atoms  51895
Last frame         -1 time 10000.000

Item        #frames Timestep (ps)
Step             1
Time             1
Lambda           1
Coords           1
Velocities       1
Forces           0
Box              1

When i did gmxcheck -f state_prev.cpt   # i get

Checking file state_prev.cpt

# Atoms  51895
Last frame         -1 time 9730.730

Item        #frames Timestep (ps)
Step             1
Time             1
Lambda           1
Coords           1
Velocities       1
Forces           0
Box              1

I just have only one md.log file in the end, i haven't outputted md.log file for each window.

Kind Regards,
Chetan.