[gmx-users] grompp error with distance restraints

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 22 16:32:16 CEST 2011

bob dole wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have conducted several runs in which I pull one peptide away from
> another; however, the peptide being pulled gets visually “stretched” out
> when viewing the trajectory in VMD and DSSP confirms this. I came across
> this recent post
> (http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2011-September/064621.html)
> in which it was recommended to apply distance restraints and use
> particle decomposition to solve the stretching problem.
>
> I tried this, but grompp keeps throwing this error:

> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.4
> Source code file: toppush.c, line: 1526
>
> Fatal error:
> [ file disres.itp, line 5 ]:
> Atom index (1583) in distance_restraints out of bounds (1-1578).
> This probably means that you have inserted topology section
> "distance_restraints"
> in a part belonging to a different molecule than you intended to.
> In that case move the "distance_restraints" section to the right molecule.
>
> Here’s the workflow I used:
>
> 1) Making indices
> make_ndx –f NPT.gro –o index.ndx
>  > a 1-789
>  > 19 a_1-1578 : 789 atoms
>
>  > a 790-1578
>  > 20 a_1579-3156: 789 atoms
>
>  > name 19 Chain_A
>  > name 20 Chain_B
>
>  > 20 & a CA
>
> Copied index group 20 'a_1579-3156'
> Found 208 atoms with name CA
> Merged two groups with AND: 1578 208 -> 104
>
> 21 a_1579-3156_&_CA : 104 atoms
>

> Making the distance restraint
>

> genrestr -f NPT.gro -o disres.itp -disre -n index.ndx
>
> Select a group: 21
>

> 3) Then I added:
>
> #ifdef POSRES_B
>
> #include "disres.itp"
>
> #endif
>
> after the include statement for the position restraint file to the *.itp
> file for the peptide being pulled
>

> 4) Next I added “disre = simple” and “define -DDISRES to the MDP setting

That #define statement won't work.  If your disres.itp is under the control of
"POSRES_B" then "DISRES" will have no effect.

> 5) Next, I run grompp as follows (after which I get the aforementioned
> warning):
>
> grompp -f PULL.mdp -c NPT.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t NPTpbc.trr -o
> PULL.tpr
>

> Initially I use pdb2gmx -chainsep to tell GMX not to treat the two
> peptides as 1 molecule, and when the topologies are written for the
> peptides, they both start at atom 1. It's obvious that the out of bounds
> warning is due to an atom numbering issue (grompp doesn't realize that
> atom 1583 = atom 5 when you renumber the second peptide starting at 1),
> but I've drawn a blank as to how to work around this.

Atom numbering is done on a per-moleculetype basis.  To be absolutely sure, you
can have pdb2gmx renumber with -renum, or genconf -renumber before generating
the distance restraint file.

-Justin

> Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
>

> Thanks!

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar