[gmx-users] Runtime on 8 processors

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Sep 23 08:48:07 CEST 2011

On 23/09/2011 4:37 PM, Sumanth M. Kumar wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I did a simulation in an amazon cluster with 7.5 GB memory and 4 EC2
> Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each) and it
> was done with 0.5ns/day. Now Im running a simulation in another amazon
> cluster of 7 GB of memory and 20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual cores
> with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each), but still the speed is same even if
> i use "mpirun -np 8" with the mdrun, and finally its taking the same
> time as 2core system, i.e. 0.5ns/day. I would like to know whether I
> should make any changes during compilation?  I had enabled mpirun
> while compiling GROMACS. Do I need to make any changes, so that it
> will consider all the 8 processors?

Virtual cores are useless for GROMACS because it saturates the processor
pipelines on its own (though Intel's hyperthreading from 5-6 years ago
was an exception). You need real cores, and to configure MPI to assign
processes 1-to-1 to real cores. The details will be up to you and your
system admins. You don't need to do anything with GROMACS other than
configure with MPI.

Mark