[gmx-users] About MD

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 26 09:45:55 CEST 2011

On 26/09/2011 5:31 PM, xiaojing gong wrote:
> Hi, many thanks for your answer.
>
> >> Any dynamical simulation has a lowest-energy structure... whether
> this means anything is another question.
>
> I am just wondering whether the structures you find with MD determined
> mainly by thermodynamics  (i.e. the lowest energy structures) or by
> kinetics (i.e. the structures
> with the lowest activation barriers)?
>
> I wonder to know how can I set the parameters and in which condition I
> obtain the structure by thermodynamics, and in which condition (with
> which parameter setting) I can obtain the structure by kinetics.
>
> >> MD samples the free-energy surface. Its shape and the temperature
> determine what structures might be found, and in what proportions.
>
> Do you mean that I can obtain the structure by thermodynamics in
> longer and higher temperature ; obtain the structure by kinetics in
> shorter and lower temperature?

You are drawing some artificial distinction whose purpose I do not
understand.  A short simulation on a FES at a temperature low enough
that the barriers are larger than the readily available KE will be
kinetically trapped. I'd guess that most MD simulations that have ever
been run have suffered from this defect. The shape of the FES will
generally vary with temperature also.

Mark