[gmx-users] Error in analyzing traj.trr file using g_clustsize, etc.

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Sep 27 16:44:51 CEST 2011

On 27/09/2011 10:42 PM, A Taqia wrote:
> Dear Gromacs experts,
>
> I ran a Gromacs simulation (with Gromacs 4.5.4) on a BlueGene/P system
> and generated a trajectory file.  However, when I performed analysis
> on this file (traj.trr) (for example using g_clustsize), the following
> error was encountered:
> Program trjconv_d, VERSION 4.5.1
> Source code file: trnio.c, line: 68
>
> Fatal error:
> Float size 164738970. Maybe different CPU?
> For more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the
> GROMACS
>
> I used the post processing tool (g_clustsize) from different versions
> of Gromacs (4.5.4, 4.5.1, 4.0.x) on both the front end and back end
> nodes of the BlueGene.  I even tried using g_clustsize built on a
> Linux, but encountered the same error.  I was wondering if anyone can
> shed me some lights on how to resolve this problem.  Your assistance
> is greatly appreciated.

The simplest explanation for the symptoms is that your trajectory file
is corrupt somehow - most likely because of something someone did to the
file, or to the file system. The size of a .trr file is linear in the
number of frames, so if you can run a short version of the simulation
separately, you can estimate how big this file should have been.
gmxcheck is available to probe the integrity of the file, but I expect
it will also simply tell you something is catastrophically wrong.