[gmx-users] the different protonation state of HIS

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 5 15:22:40 CEST 2012

Acoot Brett wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> For pdb2gmx, we have -ignh. Does -ignh will always give the correct HIS
> format at pH 7?

Strictly speaking, the -ignh option doesn't have anything to do with HIS
protonation, it simply ignores H atoms in the input.  HIS protonation states are
then determined by an algorithm that seeks to maximize the hydrogen bonding
network in the structure.  Whether or not that necessarily reproduces reality
(or completely replicates any protonation states in the original input that had
its H atoms ignored) is an exercise for the user and can be changed with -his.

-Justin

> Looking forward to getting your reply.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Acoot