[gmx-users] the value of nsteps in the mdp file in the on-line tutorial

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 21:38:51 CEST 2012

Hey ;)

For those, you really have to consider what the purpoase of the
simulations is. For energy minimization it's getting rid of clashes
that might cause the system to blow up. For NVT equilibration the aim
is equilibrating the temperature, which is usually fast enough. For
NpT it's equilibrating the pressure, which may take a bit more time,
mainly because it fluctuates so wildly. Especially when aiming to do
later simulations with parrinello-rahman pressure coupling, NpT
equilibration requires a bit of care, and a Berendsen manostat. It's
true that larger system take longer to relax, but the relaxation for
these steps is fast enough anyway. The real trouble starts when
equilibrating under production simulation conditions. There the size
of the system is quite an issue, and relaxation times are usually
(much) longer than you care for.

Cheers,

Tsjerk