[gmx-users] What is an acceptable cosine content values?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:23:56 CEST 2012

Hi Catherine,

I did explain this already:

>> >  1 0.602921

Cosine content for first pc

>> >  2 0.011185

Cosine content for second pc

>> >  3 0.0659901

Cosine content for third pc

>> >  4 0.425943

>> >  5 0.204306

>> >  6 0.439315

>> >  7 0.0288551

>> >  8 0.0830944

Cosine content for eighth pc

> Do you mean I should only look at the first row?

If you care to know only the cosine content of the projection on the
first pc, yes, then only look at the first row.

> When you said I should perform the analysis per component, do you mean I
> should also consider row 2-8 above?  If yes, could you teach me how to
> interpret it too?

Berk Hess showed that random diffusion yields a specific pattern in
terms of the cosine contents of projections on the first few
eigenvectors. But in more general terms, just like a high cosine
content on the first pc may indicate unidirectional motion from one
region in conformational space to another, so may a high cosine
content on subsequent pc's. However, in line with Hess' findings, the
cosine content for the i'th pc is fitting against a i/2 period cosine,
while one should be especially cautious of nonconvergence if any pc
fits nicely to a half cosine, indicating a unidirectional motion along
the eigenvector.

If it starts to be less clear now than it seemed, I'm sorry, but PCA
is not one of the easiest methods of analysis, and there is a lot of
misconception around regarding the interpretation...

Cheers,

Tsjerk