[gmx-users] File editing - only one layer of water around a molecule

francesco oteri francesco.oteri at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:44:35 CEST 2012

Hi Lara, I sent an incomplete mail by error :(

I was saying that the simplest way is using vmd.
Briefly,
1) load the pdb file in vmd.
2) create a representation using a string like:  "same residue as within 3.
of protein".
    where "protein" is the group around the molecule you have to use, I
used protein just as example
    3. is the cutoff distance between protein and any other ATOM in the
system
3) "same residue" for each atom at point 2) it takes the corresponding
residue avoiding residue bracking.

If your pdb is more complex, but you need only water try:
"water and (same residue as within 3. of protein)".

Now you can visually inspect your selection and adjusting the distance.

When everything is fine, you can save it through vmd save comman:
1) in the command line write:

[atomselect top "same residue as within 3. of protein"] writepdb out.pdb

It should work and it should make the work easier!

Francesco

--
Cordiali saluti, Dr.Oteri Francesco