[gmx-users] Classical Ewald summation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 14 17:30:50 CEST 2012

Andrew DeYoung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I seem to remember reading somewhere that the classical Ewald algorithm is
> compatible with particle decomposition runs, but I can't seem to find this
> statement in the manual.  Also, when I try running an NVT simulation with
> either -pd or -dd, I get the following message:
>
> "The integration or electrostatics algorithm doesn't support parallel runs.
> Not starting any threads."
>
> Can you please confirm that the classical Ewald algorithm is not implemented
> in parallel?  And that I'm imagining things thinking that classical Ewald
> was compatible with particle decomposition?

Per the code in src/kernel/runner.c:

     if (nthreads != 1 &&
         ( inputrec->eI == eiLBFGS ||
           inputrec->coulombtype == eelEWALD ) )
     {
         fprintf(stderr,"\nThe integration or electrostatics algorithm doesn't
support parallel runs. Not starting any threads.\n");
         nthreads = 1;
     }

Thus the L-BFGS minimization algorithm and the Ewald electrostatics algorithms
can only be run in serial, as the error message states.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee