[gmx-users] g_select tutorial

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Apr 14 18:16:08 CEST 2012

On 15/04/2012 12:50 AM, Lara Bunte wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want and need a tutorial especially for g_select but I found
> nothing. Do you know a tutorial for g_select? Manual and help are here
> not enough to understand how to use g_select.

I think the existing documentation for g_select does a good job at
describing complex and powerful functionality on the assumption that the
user understands something of the use of index groups in GROMACS (manual
8.1), the UNIX command line, GROMACS standard workflows with -f and -s,
and perhaps some file format limitations. Unfortunately, you seem to
lack familiarity with all of these. That's life, but you will have a
tough time learning as you go, as do all newcomers to complex
disciplines and powerful tools.

A g_select tutorial might teach you some of these by accident, but I
don't think the problem lies with the lack of such a tutorial. It is
infeasible for all sources of documentation to assume the user knows
nothing, of course. As I have suggested before, it is feasible for you
to do all of the GROMACS tutorial material you can find (and perhaps
some UNIX tutorial material), even if you judge the material is not
relevant to your immediate needs, because you will learn things on the
way about how to use all the things I have mentioned (and more).