[gmx-users] Re: Simulation in the high temperature conditions

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 15:19:26 CEST 2012

Justin,

I've applied disres on each backbone atom of my potein within cutoff
distance of 1nm ( Rc=1.0 nm). I've selected this value for cutoff to
decrease overall ammount of the restains in my itp file. Also such value (
1nm) was selected because of the relatively tight packing of the alpha
helices in the TM buddle of membrane protein.

The selected values for disre_dist, disre_up2 and disre_frac were 1, 1.2
and 0.5 nm respectually . Also I've made disres with 1 and 0 nm values but
I have not noticed any difference in the resulted behaviour of the
constrained system. As the consequence I have not clearly realise what
exactly is the disre_frac and in what exactly cases this option could be
helpfull.

This is an example of my output itp file

[ distance_restraints ]
;   i     j ? label      funct         lo        up1        up2     weight
    1     5 1     0          1          0    1.64731    2.64731          1
    1    10 1     1          1          0     1.7326     2.7326          1
    1    12 1     2          1          0    1.83886    2.83886          1
    1    14 1     3          1          0    1.96079    2.96079          1
    1    15 1     4          1          0    2.03503    3.03503          1
    1    17 1     5          1          0    1.99007    2.99007          1
    1    19 1     6          1          0    2.08879    3.08879          1
    1    27 1     7          1          0    2.13916    3.13916          1
    1    29 1     8          1          0    2.27147    3.27147          1
    1    30 1     9          1          0    2.35793    3.35793          1

I've made 10 ns simulation of such system and observe rapid shrinking of my
protein starting with first 100ps like the distances that I chose were too
small and forces shrink my protein. But when I've tried larger distance
value for disre_dist my protein denatured rapidly as no disres were
presented.

So the main question is How I could specify this disre values if I want to
restrain the motion of the helixes of my protein within disre value ( e.g
10 A) relatively current confrmation ?

James