[gmx-users] Re: Simulation in the high temperature conditions

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 16 16:09:12 CEST 2012

James Starlight wrote:
> Justin,
>

> Thank you for explanation. Tomorrow I'll try to check results of
> simulation with the disres applied with its default values as well as
> with narrower -disre_dist values ( ignorring -disre_frac option at all
> )  and post here results of such simulations.
>

> 1) The cut-off distance wich I've specified was defined with the genrest
> comand with the -cutoff 1.0 flag. Finally all restrains were apllied on
> the backbone atoms of alpha helices of the Transmembrane domain of my
> protein wich I've defined in the index.ndx file. So all loops of my
> protein were not-restrained at all.

Ah, I see now.

> Also I have some small  question about size of output edr file. I've
> noticed that size of this files of such simulations  (with the disres
> applied as well as with the -pd flag ) is a very big ( 10-15 gb) Why
> this occurs and how I could fix it?

There are energy terms associated with distance restraints.  They cause the .edr
file to get large very fast if you have a lot of them.  You'll have to decrease
nstenergy to make the files smaller, or not use the restraints.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee