[gmx-users] Re: Re: NPT simulation for mutation study

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 16 18:57:26 CEST 2012

Shyno Mathew wrote:
> Hello Prof. David,
>
> thanks for your reply.
> I will try using isotropic pressure scaling. But still I am not clear
> why the simulations ran fine with first .mdp file. As mentioned in the
> previous email only few parameters were different in my .mdp file
> compared to my advisor's.
> I am just copying those parameters again:
> Parameters that are different in my advisor's file:
> DispCorr                 = Ener
> tau_t                    = 0.20
> compressibility          = 5e-6  5e-6  5e-6  0 0 0
> gen_vel                  = yes
> gen_temp                 = 1
> gen_seed                 = 473529
> can including dispersion corrections for pressure induce such a huge change?

By changing several variables at once, it becomes hard (read: almost impossible)
to say what caused it.  By also not generating velocities (assuming this is step
1 in equilibration), you can induce instability.

The real lesson is you shouldn't make haphazard changes or take anything for
granted as far as settings that "should work."  Spending a few hours reading the
literature will save you weeks of troubleshooting an elusive problem.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee