[gmx-users] How to increase the ratio of cell size to constrain length per error message

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 26 06:24:53 CEST 2012

On 25/04/2012 6:28 AM, PAVAN PAYGHAN wrote:

> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I am using gromacs version is 4.5.3.and running my jobs on single node
> with 8 cores.
>
> I have two different systems which contain about 425000 atoms (protein
> + Lipid +SOL) one with bound ligand
>
> and another one unbound protein.I have successfully reached up to
> NPT equilibration run step,

It is a poor idea to do equilibration with Parinello-Rahman, which is
unstable when the system is not already close to equilibrium. For some
reason people still do it, despite at least a post per week on this list
suggesting against it, and a warning in the manual. Use Berendsen to fix
the density, then equilibrate further with P-R to get the right ensemble.

> now I want to continue the same for production run. Without ligand I
> am able to run successfully But the same system with ligand is
> crashing with following error-
>
> D D cell  1 0 0 could only obtain 1520 of the 1521 atoms that are
>
> are connected via constraints from the neighbouring cells
>
> This probably means your constraint length are too long
>
> compared to the domain decomposition cell size.
>
> Decrease the number of domain decomposition grid cells or lincs_order.

I'd rather expect your system was blowing up because of the above issue.
Perhaps the suggestion in the error message is not as complete as could
be desired - you have so many atoms per processor that the constraint
length would normally be tiny with respect to the cell size. So I think
the things you have tried below are rearranging the deck chairs on the
Titanic.

Mark