[gmx-users] Atom types for phosphate group in OPLS-AA force field

Delmotte, Antoine antoine.delmotte09 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 13:45:56 CEST 2012

Dear Gromacs users,

I am here requesting your help with regards to the editing of the
OPLS-AA force field, and more specifically, the choice of the atom types.

I have added an entry for the molecule CABP to the .rtp and .hdb files.

I can run pdb2gmx, genbox and editconf without getting any error.
However, when I run grompp, I receive the following errors:

ERROR 1 [file 1RBO_Protein_chain_A.itp, line 15054]:
No default Bond types

ERROR 78 [file 1RBO_Protein_chain_M.itp, line 47276]:
No default Angle types

ERROR 82 [file 1RBO_Protein_chain_M.itp, line 66639]:
No default Ryckaert-Bell. types

(there are 160 of those).

 From what I could see in this mailing list, it seems the error comes
from the choice of the atom types for the phosphate groups. I have tried
several of them which seemed to make sense, but none of them allowed to
remove all the errors.

The end of the chain is something like:

(...)--CH2--O--P--O--H

(details of the whole molecule here:
http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/ligand/ligandsummary.do?hetId=CAP&sid=1RBO
<http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/ligand/ligandsummary.do?hetId=CAP&sid=1RBO> )

The problem is about the atom type of the -OH group at the end. Here are
the entries from the .atp file which I thought were relevant:

opls_445 30.97376 ; P in MeOPO3--, MeOPO3H2
opls_446 15.99940 ; O= in MeOPO3--, MeOPO3H2
opls_447 15.99940 ; OMe in MeOPO3--, MeOPO3H2 methyl phosphate
opls_448 12.01100 ; C in MeOPO3--, MeOPO3H2 6-31+G* CHELPG
opls_449 1.00800 ; H in MeOPO3--, MeOPO3H2

I chose opls_445 for the P, opls_446 for the 3 oxygens, and opls_449 for
the hydrogen. Apparently, I got it wrong for the oxygen and the hydrogen
of the OH group, at least. Unless the error actually comes from
something else...

So my question is the following: Have I done something wrong about the
atom types? If so, does anyone know which atom type I should choose?

Details of my rtp entry:

[ CAP ]
[ atoms ]
P1 opls_445 1.539429 1