[gmx-users] Re: GPCR MD Tutorial Using GROMACS (URL)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Apr 27 12:35:43 CEST 2012

On 4/27/12 6:04 AM, Anirban Ghosh wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Bala S <think_beyond at aol.com
> <mailto:think_beyond at aol.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you for that clarification.
>
>     I found that there were SOL molecules in .top file. I could run the EM now.
>
>     Coming to the Solvation step, I'm facing a problem.
>
>     I have made the mentioned change (0.15 to 0.375 for C) in the vdwradii.dat
>     locally.
>
>     While adding the solvent molecules, what command should I be using?
>
>     I am using the usual command I use for non-membrane simulations,
>
>     $ editconf -f shrinked4.gro -o shrinked4_1.gro -c -d 1 -bt cubic
>
>     followed by
>
>     $ genbox -cp shrinked4_1.gro -cs -o shrinked4_box.gro -p topol.top
>

> When you mention -bt cubic, it adds a cubic water box all around your system (if
> you visualize you will see your entire bilayer immersed in a cubic water box
> like a normal protein solvation). But that is wrong. You need to add water only
> on either side of the lipid membrane (that is along the z-axis only). So use the
> -box option with editconf without using -c and -d. You can have a look at
> https://sites.google.com/site/anirbanzz/gpcr-gromacs-tutorial It is clearly
> mentioned over there how to go about it.

You should not add water in between InflateGRO steps.  The process should be
carried out entirely in the absence of water, otherwise you add solvent to a
huge box and the water is incorporated into the voids in the lipid membrane.
Only after the last shrinking step should you proceed with adding water.

-Justin

>     calculation goes for long time showing a huge number of SOL molecules.
>
>     I guess I'm worng somehere.
>
>     Thanks.
>
>     Bala S
>

>     --
>     Please search the archive at
>     Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>     www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar