[gmx-users] Protein at given pH

Alexey Shvetsov alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru
Sat Dec 1 22:00:49 CET 2012

Justin Lemkul писал 07-11-2012 16:20:
> On 11/7/12 7:10 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> pdb2gmx chooses protonation states based on the assumption that
>>> you're
>>> working at neutral pH.  If you want some alternate protonation
>>> state for
>>> certain residues, you have to choose them yourself using the
>>> various options
>>> that pdb2gmx provides for this purpose.
>>
>> Thank you Justin. So do not understand why this server produce pdb
>> file which is redundant as you have to use -his -glu etc. flags
>> anyway. According to pK - this server predicts pK for each residue
>> and
>> when my pH < pKa it is protonated, otherwise it is deprotonated,
>> right? How about pH = pKa ?
>
> If you're using the H++ server, it has no connection to Gromacs in
> any way. Your command line uses -ignh, so any hope of guessing the
> protonation state from the input is lost and thus you have to use
> interactive selection to counteract that effect or otherwise hope
> that
> all the atomic nomenclature is right so that pdb2gmx doesn't complain
> too much.

Actualy you can use data from h++ server with GROMACS. In order to do
so you
need
1. amber files from H++ specificaly *.top and *.crd file
2. Install ambertools
3. Use ambpdb to create pdb file from *.top and *.crd something like
ambpdb -p
*.top < *.crd > *.pdb
4. Get my script to renumber pdb and inset chain ids from
http://biod.pnpi.spb.ru/~alexxy/h++/pdbfix.pl
5. Process amber pdb file with it.
6. Feed it to gromacs and chose amber frocefield. Now it will use right
protonation states

> If pH = pKa, then your life is tougher.  In solution, 50% of the
> residues in the protein molecules will be protonated, 50%
> deprotonated.  You may have to model both protonation states if this
> is the case.
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> Department of Biochemistry
> Virginia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA
> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

Best Regards,
Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, NRC Kurchatov Institute,
Gatchina, Russia
Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics
Gentoo Team Ru
Gentoo Linux Dev
mailto:alexxyum at gmail.com
mailto:alexxy at gentoo.org