[gmx-users] Build on OSX with 4.6beta1

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 3 16:40:32 CET 2012

On 12/3/12 10:24 AM, Albert wrote:
> the most efficient way is just give up a  macOS and switch to a more reasonable
> OS like Linux. macOS is definitely a pain in the neck , and it is completely
> nightmare to use it for computational work.

I think every OS has something to complain about, though Linux seems to be the
most friendly.  Yes, Mac has its quirks and annoyances (as does Windows, which
is becoming more and more common in the scientific realm), but I would disagree
that it's a complete nightmare.  I've used a Mac for everything since 2005 and
have always found a workaround for any issue.  I think the main problem here is
an increasingly complex build system that has to take into account breathtaking
complexity in terms of hardware, OS, compilers, etc and it just needs a bit of
tweaking.

-Justin

> On 12/03/2012 04:10 PM, Szilárd Páll wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Carlo Camilloni <carlo.camilloni at gmail.com

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080