[gmx-users] Parametrisation of the cyclic nucleotides in Gromos force fields

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 5 19:50:16 CET 2012

On 12/5/12 1:39 PM, James Starlight wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Indeed the force field is the 54a7 ( modiffied version of the 54a6).
>
> The main reason of using GROMOS ff in that case was the topology of
> ligands which could be easily created by means of prodrg or ATB. On
> other hand I've never worked with the protein-ligand complexes in
> charmm ff for instance.

Well, you get out what you put in.  A recent paper
(dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.23055) showed that Gromos force fields performed very
poorly for simulating nucleic acids.  There are others, but that's just a recent
one.  If you're choosing a force field because it makes life easy, be prepared
to defend your results if they are of poor quality or defend a lot of wasted
time while you re-do the simulations :)

There are servers that produce CHARMM topologies and other programs that will
convert AMBER topologies into Gromacs format as well.  I would suggest you
evaluate all the options available.

> By the way is there any suitable builing blocks (implemented in the
> rtp enties of the gromos ff) which could be used for charge
> assignment?

That depends on the functional group.  If it's also found in proteins, yes.  If
not, then maybe but probably not.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080