[gmx-users] Re: Pulling ion - US

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Tue Dec 11 12:01:04 CET 2012

I would also use the same residue from the pulling for the US.
One thing you should be aware of is the pulling dimension:
Now you have the pull-code only ativated for the z-direction. If you use
this still in the US the ion can move freely in the xy-plane (freely in
the sense of what is possible from the surrounding).

One extreme example:
The ion bounds to the protein and somehow (don't ask, think this wont
happen in reality) and diffses away (in the xy-plane) after a long time
it's so far away from the protein that the are no interaction with the
protein and the ion interacts only with the surrounding water. Now you
don't measure with the US potential the interaction of the ion with the
protein, but the free diffusion of the ion.
This case wont happen, since the probability that the ion unbounds
itself from the protein goes down to the cellar. But i hope you get the
idea what the gerneral problem is. If you the pull-dim in each direction
this problem wouldn't occur, since the movement of the ion is also
restrained in the xy-plane.