[gmx-users] Energy minimization

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Wed Dec 19 06:28:44 CET 2012

Read through the log file to find out what atoms are causing the system to
crash. I also prefer running mdrun -v and capturing that too, since it
provides similar log data but does not output the energy tables.

You also did not specify what the final maximum forces were in the system
after the last round of minimization or what atom had the highest force
at the end of the EM.

If you did anything weird with the protein, you may have to go through the
entire structure sidechain by sidechain to make sure that there are no weird
connectivities (Once I had a peptide bond from a coil going straight through
the plane of a benzene ring in a far-away residue, and the simulation would
always crash because the forces of the covalent bonds in the ring would blow
up as it clashed with the forces calculated for the peptide bond and this was
not noticed during minimization).