[gmx-users] PMF Transmembrane proteins

Nash, Anthony Anthony.Nash at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Dec 30 20:57:34 CET 2012

Dear Justin

Thanks for your reply.

I am studying a TM peptide, looking at how favourable the front and reverse face are. Hence, different orientations but the same composition of amino acids.

I then have a duplicate of this system (call it system B), but with a couple of residue substitutions. I am comparing free energies of System A front orientation with System A back orientation (and then B with B).

I have separated the peptides, and ran umbrella simulations every 1 angstrom apart (I experimented with windows closer together, in some regions hence the generalisation to half an angstrom). Papers I have looked through which sample up to 2 nm apart have been running umbrella windows every 0.2 of an angstrom. My PMF plateau is around 6.5-7.5 nm, which implies around 78 windows per system.

Taking one system as an example, if I normalise at 7.5 nm the difference at their global minima is around 37.63 kJ mol−1 (8.99 kCal mol−1), but then when I break down the PMF graph (0-1ns, 0-2ns, 0-3nm) the regions greater than 4.5 nm have not converged. Hence, normalising anywhere in this unconverged region would be wildly inaccurate. If I normalise to zero at the point in which one of the system pairs (A&A, or B&B) converges, the free energy different is 5 kJ mol−1.

If by error estimate you mean from the inbuilt bootstrap analysis, then I am very confident that the error along the entire reaction coordinate is very small; which is confusing as I am not sure whether the slower converging regions of the reaction coordinate (4.5 - 7.5) should shower greater error!?

Yes it is heart breaking to hear that I may need to run the system for longer. This however, isn't a massive problem, given the time of the year the HPCs I am using are a bit empty. Would you suggest I need to run the 40 ns for longer (continuation run), or begin brand new windows from scratch and include those in the g_wham calculations? I guess the 40 ns one, given that lipid reorientation needs to be taken into account.

I don't have numbers in front of me, but the system box size is big (I went through your tutorial several times, and I have seen the PMF graph as a result of a box too small). The longest i.e., the reaction coordinate, is along the Y axes, Z is normal to the bilayer. When I calculate the PMF, I have pull_dim = Y Y N.

I'll get around to putting up some ASAP.

Thanks very much for your help

Anthony