[gmx-users] umbrella-histogram-windows

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 6 15:10:56 CET 2012

parto haghighi wrote:
> Dear gmx users
> I am working on an umbrella sampling system.(lipid bilayer+drug).
> I have used distance
> I have used lipid as a refrence group and drug as a pull group.in
> npt_umbrella mdp I have used constraint for refrence group and in
> md_umbrella I have removed the constraint.

I'm not clear on what you're doing here.  An .mdp file would be extremely helpful.

> [...]
> 427	1.5273204
> 428	1.5900084
> 429	1.5412893
> 430	1.5962194
> 431	1.5370157
> 432	1.4973781
> 433	1.5288886
> 434	1.5560608
> 435	1.5629433
> 436	1.5456027
> 437	1.5347616
> 438	1.5467555
> 439	1.5660588
> 440	1.5592589
> 441	1.5447172
> 442	1.5793159
> 443	1.5243505
> 444	1.5337485
> 445	1.5812923
> 446	1.5076854
> 447	1.5527291
> 448	1.5599996
> 449	1.5375631
> 450	1.5507294
> 451	1.4763156
> 452	1.5596538
> 453	1.4723976
> 454	1.4742548
> 455	1.4885223
> 456	1.5286931
> 457	1.5812750
> 458	1.5992634
> 459	1.6721720
> 460	1.5979157
> 461	1.5882409
> 462	1.6096119
> 463	1.6853847
> 464	1.5547028
> 465	1.4746356
> 466	1.5158916
> 467	1.4675600
> 468	1.5343397
> 469	1.3681053
> 470	1.5010762
> 471	1.4803838
> 472	1.4953094
> 473	1.5424787
> 474	1.5200848
> 475	1.5052415
> 476	1.4971479
> 477	1.6006268
> 478	1.5689414
> 479	1.5624480
> 480	1.5368186
> 481	1.5469188
> 482	1.5405121
> 483	1.5489655
> 484	1.5677957
> 485	1.5555471
> 486	1.5745570
> 487	1.5241419
> 488	1.5673757
> 489	1.5205972
> 490	1.5468128
> 491	1.5371502
> 492	1.5486749
> 493	1.5264599
> 494	1.5077617
> 495	1.6062210
> 496	1.5399962
> 497	1.5931936
> 498	1.6058899
> 499	1.6357416
> 500	1.5546903
>
> I have applied  0,3,9,15,16,17,18,19,20,22,39,42 and 51 (from 0 to
> 500) points for my umbrella sampling.following are my questions:
> 1.why do not the points descend regularly when the drug is going to

If you're measuring the total COM distance, there are x, y, and z components.
Depending on how you're doing the pulling (again, an .mdp file is essential
here), it may just be that your molecule is drifting in x and y, while there is
a steady decrease in z.

> 2.In my histogram curve I only have 1 peak on the 2nd point of my 13
> points above,why?

Either you didn't run umbrella sampling correctly, or you didn't plot the output
correctly.  We can't tell.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar