[gmx-users] Energy minimization Error

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 10 14:53:12 CET 2012

On 11/02/2012 12:41 AM, francesca vitalini wrote:
> In order to overcome the problem I tried to fix everything except the
> backbone (solvent, sidechain and CA, as I want the structure to be
> maintained). However, if I do then I have problems with the energy
> minimization as the force on the 15300 is infinite.
>
> Getting Loaded...
> Reading file EM1-1.tpr, VERSION 3.3.1 (single precision)
> Loaded with Money
>
> Steepest Descents:
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+01
>    Number of steps    =         2000
> -------------------------------------------------------        inf,
> atom= 15300
> Program mdrun, VERSION 3.3.1
> Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 226
>
> Range checking error:
> Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
> based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
> errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
> coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
> put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
> Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
> energy seems reasonable before trying again.
>
> Variable ci has value -2147483648. It should have been within [ 0 ..
> 27744 ]
> Please report this to the mailing list (gmx-users at gromacs.org
> <mailto:gmx-users at gromacs.org>)
>
> "Oh My God ! It's the Funky Shit" (Beastie Boys)
>
> Halting program mdrun
>
> You suggested to check if there is any overlapping.

... so you need to get out some visualization software and look at the
transformed structure :)

> There might be as my structure is obtained through a reverse
> transformation from a CG representation. In the mapping the atoms are
> positioned randomly in the bead. Now I'm running some energy
> minimization to equilibrate those atoms. I had to solvate the system
> after the mapping (couldn't do it before due to problems with ions)but
> I haven't equilibrated it yet and I'm keeping it fixed which could
> also be a source of overlapping.

Local minimization with EM cannot in general take a "random" positioning
of the generated atoms and make it one that will be stable under MD.
Some structure knowledge needs to be build into the reverse transformation.

Mark