[gmx-users] Npt equilibration of the membrane-mimicking, CCl4 layer

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Fri Feb 10 17:51:45 CET 2012

Hi,
i second Justins seond idea (creating a small box of equilibrated CCl4
and then fill the simulation box via the -cs option).
Depending if you have other molecules in your system, make the
simulation box a little bit bigger, because you will get some holes. In
the subsequent NPT simulation these holes will vanish and your box will
shrink.

The first way has the problem, that if you have holes between some CCl4
molecules, no new molecule would fit there. Then you could make a short
equilibration, so that the holes gather to bigger holes and fill them
again with the -ci option. If you're lucky, you will reach after a very
long time the required density.
(In my case i used mesitylene as a solvent and after day of the
automated iteration (try to put molecules into the box, equilibrate, try
to put more molecules into the box, ...) i dismissed this approach.)

greetings
thomas