[gmx-users] Energy minimization Error

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 11 01:08:39 CET 2012

On 11/02/2012 2:48 AM, francesca vitalini wrote:
> In fact in the reverse transformation I'm feeding the CG structure
> information.

Yes, but you need a source of atomistic intra-residue knowledge about
protein structure in order to convert a CG structure to something that
is vaguely plausible at FG.

> Once I look through VMD to the FG structure I notice that the
> backbones are not in planes so definitely I need to run some
> minimization there. In the tutorial they were using simulating
> annealing, but I don't think I need more than energy minimization for
> that.
> What do you think?

So you've learned that any kind of simple restraint based on the input
FG structure is likely to produce a garbage result because the atomistic
detail of the input FG structure is garbage. Simulated annealing does
sound like a good way to start refining the structure. You need
something capable of more than local minimization, unlike EM. Tiny time
steps are probably necessary to cope with the large forces.

In GROMACS 4.5 you could use some COM virtual sites (or similar, see
manual) to have position restraints to the positions of the original
beads. If you feel the result of the above refinement has deviated too
much for whatever your real purpose is, then taking the refined
structure and introducing such v-site position restraints could be useful.

Mark