[gmx-users] Umbrella Pulling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Feb 13 14:11:53 CET 2012

Steven Neumann wrote:
> Dear Gmx Users,
>
> Is it always required to restrained positions of the protein while
> pulling your ligand? My system is made of 10 ligands attached to my
> protein surface. I am pulling one of them.

No, it is not required.  I assume you've gotten this idea from my tutorial - the
restraints there were used for a very specific purpose (detailed in the paper
linked from the tutorial).

> I have just seen trajectory of pulling my ligand without restraining
> positions of protein and 9 remaining ligands. My ligand while pulling
> also pulled the protein with itself (for 1 nm distance) and then
> splited. Is is this approach more reliable?

If your goal is umbrella sampling, you need only generate a series of reasonable
starting configurations along a defined reaction coordinate.  The absolute
positions are irrelevant; it is the relative distance that matters.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee