[gmx-users] RE: trjconv -dump problem

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 14 16:06:19 CET 2012

On 14/02/2012 11:39 PM, Ehud Schreiber wrote:
> Dear Mark (or anybody else interested),
>
> The .trr file does include the final (t = 217) frame - first, trjconv
> said:
> Reading frame       3 time  217.000
> and second this is verified by converting the whole trajectory to .gro:
> trjconv -f 1IARcompleted_WT_minimized.trr -s
> 1IARcompleted_WT_minimized.tpr -o 1IARcompleted_WT_minimized_path.gro
>
> It therefore seems the behavior is a bug, as the last frame is there,
> and is needed, especially in minimizations. An output in a .gro format
> is not sufficient for a further minimization because of its limited
> accuracy format of coordinates.

I looked at the code. This is an artefact of trjconv having to try to
work out the spacing of the frames in your .trr to then work out which
frame is probably going to be the closest. It assumes the frame will be
equally spaced, and accepts the first frame that is closer than half the
spacing it computes from the first two frames. Since your frames are
presumably 100, 200 and 217, the "spacing" is 100 and it accepts 200
because it's the first one it finds within 100/2 of 217.

You can work around this in lots of ways (trjconv -b 217; using
nstxout=0 in the first EM; using nstxout=1 in the first EM; using
nstxout extremely large in the first EM; taking the EM output .trr and
giving it to the next grompp -t without doing anything).

> Also, my mdrun did not produce a checkpoint file (I'm not sure whether
> because I didn't ask to or because the run was shorter than 15 minutes).

OK, maybe EM has a different behaviour (no checkpoint, thus write last
configuration always).

Mark