Fwd: [gmx-users] Npt equilibration of the membrane-mimicking CCl4 layer

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 22:20:51 CET 2012

On 16/02/2012 1:45 AM, James Starlight wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I've used that dimensions in accordance to some literature where the
> same membrane-mimicking simulation were performed.
>
> I've tried to rise cutoffs

Don't, that breaks your model physics and makes it even more likely you
will encounter problems with the system dimensions becoming too small
for the cut-off!

> and dicrease integration step but my system have been stil crashed
> during npt.
>
> I'm using
>  pcoupl        = Parrinello-Rahman
>
> wich I've found in the KALP tutorial because I have not found the same
> npt example file in the Biphastic tutorial :)

So you're following some other work and not copying their equilibration
protocol and/or model physics?

> Could you advise me another p_coup algorithm for my Ccl4 system?

There's only two choices available. Manual 3.4.9 specifically warns
against one of them for equilibration. What is there to say?

You should be sure to construct a simple case and get the model physics
validated. For the moment, forget about all the stuff where you were
struggling to insert more CCl4 into a box with CCl4 (probably creating a
far-from-equilibrium starting configuration). Don't try to learn to run
on stilts while shaving. Learn to shave, then to walk on stilts, then to
run, then start combining them.

Mark