[gmx-users] how to interpret tilt from g_helixorient?

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Wed Feb 15 23:18:55 CET 2012

Hi all

I'm also having trouble with g_helixorient and the data it is giving me.

My desired end goal is to track the average tilt of a helix compared to
the global Z-axis, but a change in the tilt of the helix over time to its
reference structure (frame 0) will suffice.

How exactly do I interpret the tilt angles from g_helixorient? If I specify
4 CA atoms in the center of my helix, it seems to give me a running average
of some sort with 0 angle angle 0. What is this angle in relation to?

Peter C. Lai			| University of Alabama-Birmingham
Programmer/Analyst		| KAUL 752A
Genetics, Div. of Research	| 705 South 20th Street
pcl at uab.edu			| Birmingham AL 35294-4461
(205) 690-0808			|