[gmx-users] Umbrella Pulling

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Feb 17 15:52:04 CET 2012

Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Steven Neumann wrote:
>
>         Hello Justin,
>
>         As you recommended I run longer pulling of my ligand. I pull the
>         ligand which is on the top of my protein so the top of the
>         protein is pulled so that the whole protein rotated app. 30
>         degrees - the low part of the protein came out of the box due to
>         the rotation. After app 600 ps the ligand does not move any more
>         and the force applied increase linearly. As I saw the
>         trajectory, ligand does not collide with a periodic image but it
>         does not move. Please, see attacheg plot force vs time. Can you
>         explain why the force increase linearly and ligand is not pulled
>         any more? This is my mdp file for pulling:
>

>     Is the pulled distance greater than half of the box vector in z?
>      That's the only reason I can see things going haywire.  With simple
>     "distance" geometry, there are some limitations like that.  Rotation
>     itself is not a problem.  You're separating two objects; there's no
>     clear orientation dependence in that case.
>
>     -Justin
>

> As you can see the pulling distance is 5 nm. The lenght of my box in Z
> direction is 12 nm. Thus, it is not. Any other ideas?

No, it's not.  You're doing 1 ns of simulation (contrary to the comment, 500000
* 0.002 = 1000 ps) and thus pulling at 10 nm per ns you are trying to pull 10 nm
in this simulation.  So once your molecule hits 6 nm (right at about 600 ps from
your plot and the expected pull rate), you're violating the criterion that I
suspected.

-Justin

> [...]
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>>>

>                               Please search the archive at
>
>          http://www.gromacs.org/______Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>
>
>          <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>>
>

>          <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>
>
>          <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>>>
>                            before posting!
>                               Please don't post (un)subscribe requests
>         to the
>                            list. Use the www
>                               interface or send it to
>                            gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>                            <mailto:gmx-users-request at __gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>
>                               <mailto:gmx-users-request@
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request@>__gr__omacs.org <http://gromacs.org>
>
>                            <mailto:gmx-users-request at __gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>>>.
>                               Can't post? Read
>
>          http://www.gromacs.org/______Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists>
>
>          <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists>>
>
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists>
>
>          <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists>>>
>

>          ------------------------------____----------------------------__--__------------
>

>          ------------------------------____----------------------------__--__------------
>

>                        --
>         ==============================____==========
>
>                        Justin A. Lemkul
>                        Ph.D. Candidate
>                        ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
>                        MILES-IGERT Trainee
>                        Department of Biochemistry
>                        Virginia Tech
>                        Blacksburg, VA
>                        jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu>
>         <http://vt.edu/> | (540) 231-9080 <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>
>                        <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>
>
>          http://www.bevanlab.biochem.____vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>         <http://vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>
>
>          <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.__vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>>

>                        Please search the archive at
>
>          http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>
>
>          <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
>         <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>>
>                        before posting!
>                        Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list.
>                        Use the www interface or send it to
>                        gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>
>                        <mailto:gmx-users-request at __gromacs.org

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080