[gmx-users] pull-code

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Fri Feb 17 19:01:27 CET 2012

Yes, the pulling is in all direction. But i tried to explain it in one
dimension.
Lol, send last mail only to Gavin.

The real problem (i think) is the following:
We have our pulled group  1nm right from the reference group, and the
umbrella potential is also centered the (we used pull_start=yes, or
pull_init=1).
The umbrella force is zero.

Now we move the particle 2nm to the left, to we have the same distance,
but into the left direction. Since the distance is the same, the
umbrella force is zero. On its way the umbrella force increases, maximum
when the pulled group is on top of the reference group, and then
decreases back to zero.
But we wanted a potential, where it doesn't matter if the particle moves
to the left or right, force should always increase. But with
pull_geometry=distance we can't get it.
If the distances between reference and pulled group are big enough we
don't run into this problem.

Hello,

I was following your argument but then doesnt pull_dim=Y Y Y mean it
pulls in all directions at once?  I use pull_dim=N N Y , or just 1 pull
direction and it works.  I might be wrong, but would be interesting if
you got it to work like that for a small molecule.

Stephan Watkins

-------- Original-Nachricht --------