[gmx-users] Interchain Disulfide Bond

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 21 01:26:11 CET 2012

On 21/02/2012 6:20 AM, jneeraj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to perform a MD simulation of a protein consisting of two
> chains. These two chains are connected via single disulfide bond.
> These two chains are separated by TER record in the input pdb file. I am
> using charmm27 force-field. The steps that I am following are:
>
> pdb2gmx –ignh –ss –chainsep ter –ff charmm27 –water tip3p -f<PDB>  -o<GRO>
> -p<TOP>
>
> However this step DOES NOT generate interchain disulfide bond. So, I tried
> to generate .top file using:
>
> pdb2gmx –ignh –ss –merge interactive –ff charmm27 –water tip3p -f<PDB>  -o
> <GRO>  -p<TOP>
> When asked for merging chains, I say "y"

-merge and -chainsep do different things. You need separated chains that
are merged into the same moleculetype, because the specbond.dat
mechanism requires that the atoms be in the same [moleculetype]. Check
out pdb2gmx -h and choose a suitable combination of -merge and -chainsep.

> The above step generates correct disulfide bonds and termii; however when I
> use

I don't think all your termini would be correct, and the subsequent
error suggests that.

Mark