[gmx-users] Positive Coul. recip. term

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 24 02:22:30 CET 2012

On 24/02/2012 7:35 AM, Denny Frost wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am trying to equilibrate a solvent of pure ionic liquid.  The system
> keeps exploding (after 2-5 ns) and I am not sure why, though I believe
> coulombic interactions are to blame.  This is because the Coul-SR term
> is negative, but the Coul. recip term is very positive throughout the
> entire run (giving the entire system a positive potential energy).  I
> think this means that the short-range electrostatics are okay, but the
> long range electrostatics (calculated with PME) are not.  Does anybody
> have any suggestions as to why this would happen?  I have used the
> exact same PME input parameters for another ionic liquid that works
> just fine.  They are listed below.
>
> rcoulomb = 1.2
> fourierspacing = 0.12
> pme_order = 4
> ewald_rtol = 1e-5

The most likely explanation for this is a problem linking the
executable, perhaps dynamically. The FFT process is then garbage which
normally generates inappropriate values for Coul. recip. terms. I'd
suggest re-compiling GROMACS, perhaps using static linking. You could
use the GROMACS built-in fftpack for simplicity while diagnosing.