[gmx-users] Umbrella sampling and WHAM along a curved pathway?

HAO JIANG hj.public at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 20:49:14 CET 2012

Hi, Jochen,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I looked at the example header provided
by g_wham -h. I just wonder if you can answer some more questions for
me.

The example header is

# UMBRELLA      3.0
# Component selection: 0 0 1
# nSkip 1
# Ref. Group 'TestAtom'
# Nr. of pull groups 2
# Group 1 'GR1'  Umb. Pos. 5.0 Umb. Cons. 1000.0
# Group 2 'GR2'  Umb. Pos. 2.0 Umb. Cons. 500.0
#####

I guess following "# Component selection" one need to specify the
Cartesian coordinate components in which the distance restraints are
applied. In this example, I guess the restraint is applied in the Z
coordinate, right? If, say, I want to put restraints in all three
coordinates, X,Y, and Z, I need to put "1 1 1" here, right? In this
case, there shall be 3 coordinates to specify the Umb.  Pos., so I
would put something like  "# Group 1 'GR1'  Umb. Pos. 5.0 5.0 5.0 Umb.
Cons. 1000.0", assuming the force constant is same for X, Y, and Z. Am
I right, or is there some other way to specify the position of the
umbrella?  And I should have 1 time column and 3 data
columns/per-group following the headers, right?

If, instead of using the pull code, I create by hands a set of initial
configurations where the pull-groups are placed along a curved
pathway,   and use "pull_start      = yes" with "pull_rate1      = 0",
will GROMACS and g_wham automatically recognize the positions of the
umbrellas from the initial configurations?

Thank you very much!

Hao