[gmx-users] Re: Internal water in the membrane receptor

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sat Feb 25 00:18:36 CET 2012

On 25/02/2012 5:37 AM, James Starlight wrote:
> Mark,
>

> So as I understood the ussage of X-ray structure as the starting model
> where the internal water is already present might be good in case to
> avoid those sterric issues doesn't it ?

Yes. This was one of the options I suggested earlier.

> What are additional options should I use for preparation of such
> system with pdb2gmx ? Should I use posres on the internal water  ( e.g
> on oxygen atoms) during energy minimisation and equilibration phases?

You probably do want a contiguous block of atoms with position
restraints. That will require you have two different [moleculetype]
sections for the different "kinds" of water, since the
[position_restraints] section applies to all instances of its
[moleculetype], and you will need to disable [settle] for at least one
of those. It might be easier not to use separate restraints for a subset
of water.