[gmx-users] Re: Internal water in the membrane receptor

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 27 12:30:59 CET 2012

On 27/02/2012 8:35 PM, James Starlight wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I've found a possible sollution to restrict oxygens of my X-ray water
> by possible plasing the below string in the TOPOLOGY.top of my system
>
> ; Include X-ray water topology
> #include "XW.itp"
>
> ; Include Position restraint file
> #ifdef POSRES_XW
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>    1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> I havent recieved any errors from gromp. Does this aproach correct in
> general ?

Yes. There's only one heavy atom in a water, so that's all you need to
restrain. You want it to have rotational freedom for EM, of course.

> I dont know why but after minimisation constrained mollecules were
> diffused from the protein interious so POSRES have not worked :(

That's sterically impossible with or without position restraints. Either
you're looking at the wrong before-and-after files, or the after file
has some periodicity artefact in your viewing program. If you set
nstxout = 1 then you can watch the EM process step by step.